Friday, June 17, 2011

I need to get a grip...


...on my eating habits. I was following a fabulous program for a while, and was seeing results, but since my surgery, and even a little before, i haven't been following anything at all. I need to tighten up the reins on it. I've been dabbling in what I can and can't handle since my gall bladder surgery. The only thing I've been able to really pinpoint is alfredo sauce, which is one of my favorite things to put on pasta. It's healthier for me that it isn't an option for me anymore, but it bums me out, and I have to find something else to put on pasta. I haven't found a red sauce that I like yet. They are always too chunky for me. My mom made one growing up that I like ok, but I'm usually trying to do 6 other things while I'm cooking, so throwing in making the sauce is harder for me. I might just have to make a huge batch and bottle it or something! ;)
So, if anyone has any ideas on how to help me tighten the reins on my eating habits, that would be super helpful! In the mean time, I think I will start following the most recent plan that has been working for me thanks to my friend Jeanna.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My advice is be patient with yourself! I used to be a serious compulsive emotional eater and it has been a long journey trying to rewire my brain and change my relationship with food. (There is still a long road ahead, but I feel like I have almost conquered it!) Anyway, point is that you have to retrain your body to desire things that are good for it, not things that will make it feel good for a moment. Refined sugars and simple carbs act like a drug. They give you a quick high and leave you jonsing for more. You WILL go through withdrawals, so be patient with yourself. Honestly what has worked best for me is shopping at Costco. The fridge is always stocked with plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. Now when I come home, I crave a good salad instead of a pint of Ben and Jerrys. Not that I don't still eat ice cream, but I ask myself why I want it, and if that is really what I want before I eat it. Most of the time I find that I want it because "that's what I do", to celebrate something, or to feel comfort, or just to eat something delicious. Well, old habits don't have to dictate the future. I enjoy some greek yogurt with berries and honey just as much as ice cream. So I substitute, something I love that is bad for me for something I love that is good for me. It isn't about denying yourself, or punishing yourself. It is about fueling your body so that you can get the most out of it. It isn't easy, but it is so worth it when you start to realize all that your body is capable of and how liberating it is to be free from the chains of food that makes you feel like garbage! Honestly, I didn't even know how crappy I felt until I started changing things. Anyway, that is enough rambling for now. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work! You will get there!