Monday, June 20, 2011

Portion Control

Ok, so now that my hubby is working the graveyard shift, I am usually making dinner for 1, instead of 2. Having that chance is a double edged sword for me though. Some of the things I make at home, I don't know how to make it smaller than 2 portions, especially anything to do with pasta.
It is also more tempting to go out and grab something to eat, because it is just for me. I think about the dirty dishes that it would cause, and usually end up going out. This is obviously not the choice I want to truly be making, or I wouldn't be talking about it.
So, I need to get more motivation to be completely in control of what I am eating. Why is this such a struggle for me? I haven't been able to place why yet. Sadly, I think it is mostly coming down to 3 things.
1. I can get lazy. After working a long day, I just don't want to think about having to do one more thing, and when I don't have to, I usually wont on those days.
2. I'm scared that people will treat me different when I am skinnier. In a way, I want people to treat me different, but in the same instance, I don't want them to treat me different. I feel people give me quite a bit of respect now, and I fear losing that. I know this is stupid, but I think that is part of the reason why I just go out. I know it's not very good for me, so I am sabotaging my own mission of health and fitness.
3. It seems like they are always changing what your portion control should be/look like anymore! It starts to become a daunting task!
Well, I have found the most current answer!
50% of your plate should have your veggies. (Have fruit in a small bowl off to the side)
20% of your plate should have your grain/starch
30% of your plate should have your protein
So there you have it! I am going to work this week on cooking at home, and having the correct portion sizes on my plate. What are you going to work on?

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Most people have a hard time cooking decent, yummy, healthy meals for one. If you want to borrow my book, "Dinner is Ready," let me know. :-) It's about freezing meals. So you make a large amount, then freeze it portions that you want.

I don't do this whole program myself (thought sometimes I do make extra just to freeze), but make a bunch for my son for his birthday every year. That way I know he eats decent at least occasionally!
-Rhonda