Monday, June 27, 2011

It finally happened to me!

So, you know how you hear on TV shows about people my size not getting talked to in a department store? Well, that happened to me Friday night.
I was out shopping for myself, and I was so happy! I was fitting into clothes I didn't think I would fit into! (YAY!) I was on such a high, feeling like all of the hard work I have been putting into my workouts was actually paying off! So, I passed by a store I would normally not go into, and saw something that my cute sister in law would love. (Pink and lacey!) She is much smaller than I am, so I never thought it would be a problem.
As I entered the store, no one acknowledged that I came in. My first thought was, "Oh, they must all be helping customers and must not have noticed me come in." Well, to make a longer story short, I was in the store for 15 minutes, and even picked up and expensive pair of jeans for my husband, and no one talked to me at all.
The kicker? The associates talked to EVERYONE ELSE in the store, and I stood next to an associate for almost 5 minutes, and I still wasn't talked to. I was absolutely mortified, put back my clothes I had picked out, and walked out of the store.
I am proud of how I handled myself. Rather than running to the food court for something to eat like I would have done 2 years ago, I very calmly walked out of the mall, and went on my way for the night. I did not comfort eat! I called a friend, (because my hubby was already at work for the night,) and went and got distracted with them, and it still didn't involve food. I did post on Facebook about it to get some of those feelings off my chest, but I am feeling ok about it today. I did have a moment in my car where I shed a few tears about it. But now, I can move on with my life.
I will say that even when I do skinny up, I will never be shopping at that store. I'm not going to name the store, but I will let you know I have filed a complaint with their corporate office.

5 comments:

Bev said...

Way to go --Luv ya!

Alyssa said...

That is so terrible! I'm so very proud of you for the way you handled it though! You go girl! :)

Bookworm Lisa said...

They don't deserve your patronage. I don't think it would hurt to tell what store it is, maybe other people could take up your issue and let them know that the behavior is not acceptable. Hang in there.

Bri Halls said...

That's horrible Shae I can't believe people are like that. And to me you'll always be beautiful!

Warrlily said...

Good job!!! No clerk should ignore anyone!!!!
ove ya