Friday, June 10, 2011

Sleep


So I have been sleeping Really Well since I had my gall bladder out. I can't believe how much better I function when I get good sleep! It boggles my mind still! I chose this picture with my post today, because I would love to find a sleep mask like that! It's so adorable! That's one thing that I have heard can really help you get restful sleep. So, in the spirit of that today, I thought I would share this article from Dr. Oz on how to help yourself get better sleep!

This article can be found on the Dr. Oz Website under "Lose Weight Through Better Sleep"

1.
Stick to 1 Sleep Schedule: The consistency of a regular sleep schedule allows your brain to know when it is time to sleep and when it is time to be awake. The more regular your schedule, the more likely you are to fall asleep and stay asleep. Remember, the longer you sleep, the more calorie-burning REM sleep you get.
Sleep Tip:
Use your alarm to help you know when to go bed to get the right amount of quality sleep. Don’t use the snooze button to potentially interrupt those final minutes of REM sleep! Set your alarm in the morning for the last possible minute you need to be out of bed.
2.
Stop Caffeine by 2 p.m.: Caffeine can be in your system up to 10 hours after you drink or eat it. Caffeine can not only prevent some people from falling asleep, but caffeine also keeps your brain out of the deeper more refreshing stages of sleep that you need for weight loss.
Sleep Tip:
If you are feeling drowsy in the middle of the day, try my Nap-a-Latte™ technique: quickly drink a small cup of cool drip coffee, and then take a 25-minute nap. The Nap-a-Latte™ reduces your drowsiness and the caffeine will wake you up, but taken at the right time (before 2 p.m.) will not keep you awake at night.
3.
Stop Alcohol 3 hours Before Bedtime: It takes about four hours for an average person to metabolize the average alcoholic beverage. Once metabolized, your body needs to urinate and this can disrupt sleep. Alcohol can certainly make you drowsy, but keeps you out of the deep stages of sleep you need for weight loss.
Sleep Tip:
Try the “glass for a glass method.” Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you drink. And stop all alcohol 3 hours before your bedtime alarm goes off (Sleep Tip #1) .
4.
Stop Exercise 4 Hours Before Bed: Research shows that raising your core body temperature a few hours before bed can help you fall asleep, and regular exercisers get more deep sleep where growth hormone is produced, which tells your body to burn fat.
Sleep Tip:
Work out earlier in the evening and consider yoga, deep breathing, or stretching before bed.
5. Give the Sun a High Five Every Morning: Light resets your biological clock every day and sunlight is the best type of light there is! Getting 15 minutes of sunlight each morning keeps your sleep rhythm regular and works well to help burn those calories at night.
Sleep Tip:
Have your breakfast outside in the morning, and get plenty of sunlight to help reset your internal biological clock.

A couple of other things that I have been including in my own routine is to turn my alarm clock away from me on the nightstand, because sometimes the light can effect how you sleep. I also don't keep my phone on my nightstand anymore. I keep it in my bedroom in case of an emergency, but I don't keep it next to me, so that when I get those middle of the night Facebook notifications, I am not woken up by them anymore. I am also always laying down at least 30 minutes before I really want to be asleep. It helps me make sure I'm getting enough sleep!

So, now that my husband is going to be working graves through the rest of the summer, I have to ensure that I am getting enough restful sleep! I hope this article helps someone!

3 comments:

The Francis Family said...

Sounds like good advice! BTW, I was noticing that not only did you find a picture of a girl sleeping, but there's also a cat! Seems very Shala! :)

Shae Mickey said...

Ha ha! So true Bethany!

Bev said...

Audrey and "cat" - what's not to love??